Update: Eastern Washington Quick Build Bus Lanes Implementation
During the month of November and into December, the MBTA and the City of Somerville will be implementing bus improvements for Eastern Washington. More people ride the 86 bus than any other bus route in Somerville. Because of the high ridership and frequent traffic backups along Washington Street, the MBTA and City of Somerville have made it a priority to redesign the street in a way that would improve the speed and reliability of Washington St buses (Routes 86, 91, and CT2).
The new changes include dedicated bus lanes, moving and consolidating bus stops, and traffic signal upgrades. The installation of the eastbound bus lane will require the removal of some on-street parking on the south side of Washington St between Myrtle St and Inner Belt Rd.
Below is an expected timeline of the project. This is subject to change due to inclement weather. To keep up to date, sign up for the City Construction Newsletter.
Week of November 8 -
- Streets signs are changed to meet new curb regulations
- Construction crews begin to grind out existing street paint
Week of November 15 -
- Cones are deployed to temporarily redirect people traveling the street
- New pavement markings are implemented
Weeks of November 22 & 29 -
- Signals are changed to support new bus lanes
- Painting new pavement markings continues
- Flex posts are installed
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out and email firstname.lastname@example.org.